Paneer butter masala is a popular Indian dish made with paneer, butter, cream, and spices. It is a rich and creamy curry that is perfect for a special occasion or a weeknight meal. Paneer butter masala can be made at home easily, but it does require some time and patience. The key to making a good paneer butter masala is to use good quality ingredients and to cook the onions and tomatoes until they are very soft.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 green chilli, chopped (optional)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cubed paneer
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and cloves and cook for a minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the onions and green chili (if using) and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they are soft and mushy, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and add them to the pan along with the water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the gravy has thickened.
- Stir in the heavy cream and butter and heat through.
- Add the paneer and cook for a minute, or until heated through.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice or roti.
- For a richer flavour, you can smoke the tomatoes before adding them to the curry. To do this, preheat a grill or pan over medium heat. Rub the tomatoes with a little oil and grill or pan-roast for 2-3 minutes per side, or until they are charred.
- You can also add a dollop of ghee to the curry before serving.
- Paneer butter masala is traditionally served with rice or roti, but it can also be served with naan or paratha.
Paneer butter masala is a delicious and decadent dish that is perfect for a special occasion or a weeknight meal. It is relatively easy to make at home, but it does require some time and patience. The key to making a good paneer butter masala is to use good quality ingredients and to cook the onions and tomatoes until they are very soft. With a little effort, you can make a paneer butter masala that is just as good as the one you would get at a restaurant.
Here are some additional tips for making paneer butter masala:
- Use high-quality paneer. The best paneer is firm and has a slightly sweet taste.
- Don’t overcook the onions. They should be soft but not mushy.
- Don’t overcook the tomatoes. They should be soft and mushy, but not too liquidy.
- Add the heavy cream and butter at the end of cooking. This will help to prevent the curry from curdling.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro for a fresh and flavorful touch.