Tomato soup is a classic comfort food that is perfect for a cold day. It is also a relatively easy dish to make at home, and it can be customised to your liking. This article will show you how to make a basic tomato soup, but you can add your own twist by adding different herbs, spices, or garnishes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, broth, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the soup has thickened.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or regular blender until smooth.
- Stir in the heavy cream (if using) and heat through.
- Serve hot with your favourite toppings, such as croutons, shredded cheese, or a dollop of sour cream.
- For a richer flavour, use fresh tomatoes. Roast the tomatoes in the oven for 30 minutes before crushing them.
- If you don’t have heavy cream, you can use milk or half-and-half.
- You can also add other vegetables to the soup, such as carrots, celery, or zucchini.
- If you want a spicier soup, add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Tomato soup is a delicious and comforting soup that is perfect for a cold day. It is also a relatively easy dish to make at home, and it can be customised to your liking. So next time you’re looking for a warm and comforting meal, try making tomato soup!