Tandoori chicken is a popular Indian dish made with chicken marinated in yoghourt and spices, and then cooked in a tandoor oven. Tandoori chicken is known for its smoky flavour and tender texture.
If you don’t have a tandoor oven, you can still make tandoori chicken at home using a regular oven or a grill. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make tandoori chicken without a tandoor:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 cup yoghourt
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, yoghourt, ginger garlic paste, garam masala, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt, black pepper, and lemon juice. Mix well to coat the chicken evenly.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread them onto skewers.
- Brush the chicken skewers with vegetable oil.
- Place the skewers on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve the tandoori chicken immediately with your favourite side dishes.
- For a smokier flavour, you can grill the chicken skewers instead of baking them.
- If you don’t have skewers, you can cook the chicken in a cast iron skillet or griddle.
- To make the tandoori chicken more flavorful, you can add other spices to the marinade, such as fenugreek powder, cardamom powder, or cloves.
- You can also add vegetables to the marinade, such as onions, tomatoes, or bell peppers.
- To make the tandoori chicken more tender, you can marinate it for longer. Overnight marinating is recommended.
- Tandoori chicken can be served with a variety of sides, such as rice, naan bread, or salad.
- You can also serve tandoori chicken with chutney or raita.
Making tandoori chicken without a tandoor is easy and delicious. Just follow the steps above and you will have a delicious and authentic tandoori chicken dish to enjoy at home.