Chana masala is a popular Indian dish made with chickpeas, spices, and tomatoes. It is a hearty and flavorful dish that is perfect for a cold winter day. Chana masala is relatively easy to make at home, but it does require some time and patience. The key to making a good chana masala is to use good quality chickpeas and to cook them until they are very soft.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 green chilli, chopped (optional)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Drain the chickpeas and add them to a pressure cooker along with 2 cups of water.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook on high heat for 15-20 minutes, or until the chickpeas are very soft.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and cloves and cook for a minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and salt and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the onions and green chilli (if using) and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they are soft and mushy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked chickpeas and their water to the pan along with the water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the gravy has thickened.
- Stir in the heavy cream and heat through.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice or roti.
- For a richer flavour, you can smoke the tomatoes before adding them to the curry. To do this, preheat a grill or pan over medium heat. Rub the tomatoes with a little oil and grill or pan-roast for 2-3 minutes per side, or until they are charred.
- You can also add a dollop of ghee to the curry before serving.
- Chana masala is traditionally served with rice or roti, but it can also be served with naan or paratha.
Chana masala is a delicious and hearty dish that is perfect for a cold winter day. It is relatively easy to make at home, but it does require some time and patience. The key to making a good chana masala is to use good quality chickpeas and to cook them until they are very soft. With a little effort, you can make a chana masala that is just as good as the one you would get at a restaurant.